Friday, September 6, 2013

We love family

Dave and I had one of those moments the other day where we were sitting in the living room and we couldn't help but feel incredibly grateful for having Oliver in our family.  At that moment everything felt right.  We had the feeling that Oliver enriches our family and makes it more whole.  We are so grateful Heavenly Father sent us this little cutie!  After 2 years of trying for a little one, I know Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers and that he blesses us with things when the time is right. I feel such a weight of responsibility on my shoulders.  I know that pretty soon here Ollie will be talking and I am responsible to form him into who he is going to be.  I want to teach him first and foremost to love and worship Jesus Christ.  Teach him of Christ's church, of living a pure and virtuous life, of showing love, charity and kindness to those around him.  Once he gets the principles of the gospel down, I know that he can excel and be a great person!  I am so grateful to be a member of a church that focuses SO much on the family.  Everything we do is to protect our little family unit and help us all return to Heavenly Father's presence someday. I also feel the responsibility to educate him and make him smart.  I will need to teach him to treat other's with respect, to be social, etc.  The list goes on and on. Whenever we are just sitting there doing nothing, I always feel guilty because I should be teaching Oliver or stimulating him somehow!

We had the pleasure of spending our Labor day weekend with some family. My family has been so awesome about coming and seeing Oliver.  My mom knows how much of a pain it is to drive with a baby (and Havasu is 5 hours away) so she gets the fam to come up often to see their little grandbaby usually once a month.  I guess that is what happens when they only have one grandchild!  But we are so grateful they make the effort.  And we love having visitors.  They are so great with Ollie.  When my mom comes, she wake up early with him so I can sleep in a little.  She loves taking him on morning walks.  This weekend it was Mom, Dad, Cameron, and Brooke that came.  They got a hotel, but my mom refused to stay in it.  She slept on our couch so she could be with Ollie first thing in the morning and see him all day. The other funny thing is Cameron and Brooke ALWAYS fight over Ollie.  It cracks me up.  Brooke holds him a lot (I think Brooke reminds Oliver of me).  He likes brooke.  Brooke even has the magic touch and can get him to go to sleep!  Cameron says "Brooke pass me Ollie".  Brooke says "Nooo".  Cameron say "Brooke you always hold him.  Give him to me."  Brooke says "You always want to take him right when I get him".  And the banter goes back and forth.  :)  Oliver loves Cameron, but Cameron can come on strong sometimes.  He makes loud noises trying to entertain Oliver, which in turns usually ends up in Oliver feeling scared from the loud noise and giving the pouty lip.  haha
This pic cracks me up... mom creepily in the background.  
ADORABLE.  Ollie and Cam.  They love each other.  

We didn't do too much.  Mainly ate a lot, hung out and talked, and played games.  We did get to go to the hotel and swim in the pool.  It is funny to me how much Oliver loves the pool.  He kicks his leg and gets excited and laughs.  Usually he has a big smile on his face.  We showed my family all the tricks he can do in the water: Back Floats, Gliding on Belly, Kicking legs, Following my cues and closing his eyes when I count 3 (preparing to go under water), and the finale: showing them that he can actually go under water!  It doesn't even phase him (except for a few coughs).

This is a horrible picture of me.  But found a review of a local mexican restaurant that we decided to try out.  We were the only ones there (besides one other couple), it was in a rough neighborhood, the building looked really old, and the ceiling was made of styrofoam.  We got our food (which was pretty good) and then people started pouring in! It was so odd.  But made us feel better that people actually eat here!Cam's friend Will from Havasu (but is going to school in Tucson) joined us.  Here we are all partaking of a serrano chili.  At first we were like 'no big deal' then the hotness began to set in and we were all chugging our water!


That weekend was Dad's birthday too!!  Mom made a delicious German Chocolate cake (tradition...Dad has that every year).  Coincidentally that is also Oliver's HALF BIRTHDAY! Woo!  So every birthday my dad has, we will be celebrating Ollie's half bday ;).

We ended their trip with a game of Newleyweds.  The pairings were Dave and I, Mom and Dad, and then Cameron and Brooke (they were good sports about it).  I was curious to see how Mom and Dad did and they DOMINATED.  It was HILARIOUS.  Every question they got right down to the tee.  Good to know my parents still know each other after all these years.  They only missed a few questions, but Dave said it is good they missed a few because that means there is still a LITTLE mystery left in their relationship :).

Monday night (Labor Day) Dave's cousin invited all the Tucson cousins over for dinner.  It was a good time.  Three of our little boys had red shirts on (which was unplanned) so we had to take a picture!


1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome! I'm glad you guys had a good time! Tim and I were just talking last night that if Dave gets into dental school in Vegas then we could come see you guys sometimes. It's *only* nine hours away! Ok that's still far, but compared to 16 hours it's no big deal.

    ReplyDelete