Friday, August 9, 2013

Family, Food, and Couponing

Dave had the brilliant idea to put a shelf in our kitchen!  I LOVE IT!  We have a small pantry which held a lot of our food and appliances and was getting WAY too full.  When my mom came to help me after I had Oliver, she would ask where I kept certain items, and when I told her it was in that pantry should would almost start crying. haha.  She called it "the CHOKEY" (from Matilda).  She would go in there in search of an item and be in there for a good 10 minutes.  Well, now she doesn't need to fear!




We got visits from my family and Dave's family this weekend. It was fun seeing them.  I think they were taking advantage of their last chance to travel before school started.  My family came up for 2 nights and Daves family was just here for a few hours.  I took my family to tour San Xavier del Bac Catholic Mission.  It got us out of the house and wasn't too far away.  Neat structure. Unfortunately they don't have A/C in the building and during a lot of the tour all I could think was 'I need fresh air'! Ollie was a good sport and was totally chill during the whole tour.  Papi held him the whole time.  There is quite a bond between my dad and Ollie, Ollie seriously loves him! It was fun having them. We ate good food and played cards and enjoyed each other's company!



Sunday was interesting.  I woke up with Mastitis AGAIN!  That is the third time I have had that dumb thing.  Mastitis affects breastfeeding women and it is a clogged duct.  Then the area gets super inflamed and infected and starts to affect the surrounding areas so it all hurts A LOT.  Then you get flu-like symptoms and feel cold and weak and miserable.  Sounds fun eh? We had invited a few friends from church over that night for dinner and games and I didn't want to cancel.  So here comes super hero husband and he let me take a nap while he made a delicious roast dinner with lion house (made from scratch) rolls and a chocolate dessert all while helping me with Ollie.  Two worst things in the world (being a little dramatic):  having your baby be sick (awful) and being sick while you have a baby that needs your constant attention.  Both can leave you feeling helpless and exhausted. After my nap I took an ibuprofen and actually felt a lot better.  I was then able to enjoy the night with Tarlton and Marissa.  After dinner we taught them how to play Hand and Foot.  We love having game buddies!




Ok, I apologize if you get sick of hearing me talk about food.  But food is a big part of my life and brings me so much joy!  haha.  Being a mom, life can get a little monotonous and this may sound silly, but trying new recipes and getting to see how they turn out is really fun for me. It just adds that little splash of excitement and mystery to my day.  So here are two recipes that were a lot of work, but turned out AMAZING!  

Dish #1: Flour's Famous Sticky Bun.  Dave and I watch a show on Food Network called Throwdown with Bobby Flay.  Basically it is a challenge between a well-known chef and a local business person that claims to make a specific food item really well.  Well this episode was about sticky buns, and the lady challenger won!  We've been meaning to try them for awhile and finally got the chance. Dave's friend Spencer invited us over for dinner and asked us to bring a dessert.  I didn't have to make dinner that night so I had the time to dedicate my energy on this dessert.  One word:   HEAVEN.  Holy cow.  These things were GOOD.  I'm salivating just looking at this picture.


Ingredients
Goo:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks; 170 grams, 6 ounces) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups (345 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup (110 grams) honey
1/3 cup (80 grams) heavy cream
1/3 cup (80 grams) water
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Basic Brioche Dough, recipe follows
1/4 cup (55 grams) light brown sugar
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (100 grams) pecan halves, toasted and chopped
Directions
First, make the goo. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the brown sugar and cook, stirring, to combine (it may look separated, that's ok). Remove from the heat and whisk in the honey, cream, water, and salt. Strain to remove any undissolved lumps of brown sugar. Let cool for about 30 minutes, or until cooled to room temperature. You should have about 3 cups. (The mixture can be made up to 2 weeks in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)

Divide the dough in half. Use half for this recipe and reserve the other half for another use.

On a floured work surface, roll out the brioche into rectangle about 12 by 16 inches and 1/4-inch thick. It will have the consistency of cold, damp Play-Doh and should be fairly easy to roll. Position the rectangle so a short side is facing you.

In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and half of the pecans. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the entire surface of the dough. Starting from the short side farthest from you and working your way down, roll up the rectangle like a jelly roll. Try to roll tightly, so you have a nice round spiral. Trim off about 1/4- inch from each end of the roll to make them even.

Use a bench scraper or a chef's knife to cut the roll into 8 equal pieces, each about 1 1/2-inches wide. (At this point, the unbaked buns can be tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 1 week. When ready to bake, thaw them, still wrapped, in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours, then proceed as directed.)

Pour the goo into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish, covering the bottom evenly. Sprinkle the remaining pecans evenly over the surface. Arrange the buns, evenly spaced, in the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and put in a warm spot to proof until the dough is puffy, pillowy, and soft and the buns are touching-almost tripled in size, about 2 hours.

Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat to 350 degrees F.

Bake until golden brown, about 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool in the dish on a wire rack for 20 to 30 minutes. One at a time, invert the buns onto a serving platter, and spoon any extra goo and pecans from the bottom of the dish over the top.

The buns are best served warm or within 4 hours of baking. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day, and then warmed in a 325 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes before serving.

Brioche Dough:
2 1/2 cups (350 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
2 1/4 cups (340 grams) bread flour
1 1/2 packages (3 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast or 1-ounce (28 grams) fresh cake yeast
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (82 grams) sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 cup cold water
6 eggs
1 3/8 cups (2 3/4 sticks; 310 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 10 to 12 pieces
Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the all-purpose flour, bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, water, and 5 of the eggs. Beat on low speed for 3 to 4 minutes, or until all the ingredients are combined. Stop the mixer, as needed, to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure all the flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients. Once the dough has come together, beat on low speed for another 3 to 4 minutes. The dough will be very stiff and seem quite dry.

With the mixer on low speed, add the butter, 1 piece at a time, mixing after each addition until it disappears into the dough. Continue mixing on low speed for about 10 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. It is important for all the butter to be thoroughly mixed into the dough. If necessary, stop the mixer occasionally and break up the dough with your hands to help mix in the butter.

Once the butter is completely incorporated, turn up the speed to medium and beat until the dough becomes sticky, soft, and somewhat shiny, another 15 minutes. It will take some time to come together. It will look shaggy and questionable at the start and then eventually it will turn smooth and silky. Turn the speed to medium-high and beat for about 1 minute. You should hear the dough make a slap-slap-slap sound as it hits the sides of the bowl. Test the dough by pulling at it; it should stretch a bit and have a little give. If it seems wet and loose and more like a batter than a dough, add a few tablespoons of flour and mix until it comes together. If it breaks off into pieces when you pull at it, continue to mix on medium speed for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until it develops more strength and stretches when you grab it. It is ready when you can gather it all together and pick it up in 1 piece.

Put the dough in a large bowl or plastic container and cover it with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the surface of the dough. Let the dough proof (that is, grow and develop flavor) in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to overnight At this point you can freeze the dough in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/joanne-changs-sticky-buns-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Dish #2: This may not look that amazing, but it was my first stab at"Wingers Style Buffalo Wings".  I bought the whole wings of a chicken so I had to crack a lot of bones to separate the parts I needed.  I told Dave that I kind of lose my appetite cracking through so many bones.  I'd rather have done the preparation the day before and just had to cook them right before eating them.  Oh Well.  But this homemade sauce was sweet with a kick and OH SO GOOD!  I say it was a success!



1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Pinch salt
20 (or so) chicken wings or thighs
Oil for deep frying
Sauce:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup Franks hot sauce
1/4 cup water
2 Tbls. Honey


In a bowl mix together the flour, cayenne and salt. Place chicken
wings in a large bowl and toss with flour mixture until they are
evenly coated (or you can do it the Shake n' bake way and put it all in
a large bag, do 5 or so wings at a time so they get evenly coated).
Cover bowl and refrigerate for about an hour. For the sauce, bring all
the ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 2 minutes. Pour over
wings and serve!



So I had a small couponing victory this week.  Fry's doubles all coupons (up to $1 I believe).  Well they were have a lot of 5 for $5 deals and I feel like I got a lot of good stuff.  I purchased: chicken, cereal, granola bars, cheese, gum, eggs, ice cream cereal, cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, floss, shaving supplies etc).  The total came to $84 even after scanning my fresh value card.  After coupons and such it came down to $44.  WOO HOO!  I cut my bill in half! I only spent $10 on all the non-food items.
These websites help me a lot:
krazycouponladies.com
grocerysmarts.com
thecentsableshoppincom

It gets quite addicting couponing.  But unfortunately I don't have that much time to dedicate to it or I might do even better!  But every little bit helps!





2 comments:

  1. Dang Brittany I'm so proud of you! Good job on the coupons. That is super hard. I have a love hate relationship with those things. I've never been able to cut my purchase down to half. Way to go! And we may have to try those recipes...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I like the new blog look. Oh, again, this is Cadie. Not Tim.

    ReplyDelete